Re: texi2dvi fails in faq

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: texi2dvi fails in faq
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:25:03 -0700

On 09/14/2010 07:08 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
I think I have Fedora's version of texlive:
Right, and that is the last there will be apparently.
Yours is dated 2007.
texlive-2010-10 is "current" but only obtainable from
the texlive repository.  I understand that the texlive folks
decided they needed their own repository due to the fact that they
could not meet the Fedora quality control requirements.
It would have been better if they had understood what a package
is before setting up and advertising their repository.  Until
recently texlive-2010-8 was current.  When 2010-10 was installed
on their repository it was not possible to upgrade from 2010-8.

I just noticed in the faq Makefile:
EGREP = /usr/local/bin/grep -E

This does not help, now that egrep is an independent
program. (Why did they do this???)

I think that  your analysis is basically correct, but figuring out
a robust fix is going to take some time.

The fact that currently texi2dvi must be in /usr/local/bin if you use
texlive will not likely be the case when the texlive folks begin
to learn a few things...

Thanks,
Michael