Re: imwrite parameter framework patch (with full gif support)

From: Michael D Godfrey
Subject: Re: imwrite parameter framework patch (with full gif support)
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:45:23 -0700

On 10/01/2010 11:28 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
Actually, I generally think the opposite, as it is easier
for me to understand code that has descriptive names.  For example, I
was recently trying to understand some things in a function that had
one and two letter variable names and found it much harder than it
would have been if the names were more descriptive.  I finally figured
out the mappings (i.e., fc -> facecolor, ec -> edgecolor, etc.), but
it took a moment or two and would have just been simpler for me if the
longer names were used instead.  But I'm a little slow sometimes, so
maybe that's just me...

jwe
This is definitely correct.  Descriptive names are best.  The
justification (wrong then as now) for short names was that long names
were laborious to type on a real TTY33.
But I'm a little slow sometimes, so
maybe that's just me...
The quicker you are the more trouble short names cause.

Michael