Re: AspectRatio Patches [changeset]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: AspectRatio Patches [changeset]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 05:53:27 -0400

On Nov 1, 2010, at 3:54 AM, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have attached a last changeset related to the aspectratio
>>> calculations. A test case demonstrating the fixed behavior of "axis
>>> equal" can be found on page 3 of the following pdf:
>>> http://files.ubuntu-gr.org/forum/logari81/Bugs/comparison_aspectratios_update2.pdf
>>>
>>> With this patch applied I am not aware of any further cases of
>>> incompatibility between matlab and the fltk backend of octave with
>>> respect to aspectratio settings.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the gnuplot backend is a bit more problematic. The best
>>> way of fixing its limitations is to implement real 3D dataaspect support
>>> upstream. Otherwise consider this
>>> http://gnuplot-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/08/changing-aspect-ratio-of-axes.html
>>>
>>> I will try to stay informed about any bug or regression reports
>>> concerning aspect ratios and provide fixes if necessary.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Kostas
>>>
>>> <octave_aspectratios_2.patch>
>>
>> I was unable to apply your patch.
>>
>> $ patch -p1 < /Users/bpabbott/Desktop/octave_aspectratios_2.patch
>> patching file src/graphics.cc
>> Hunk #2 FAILED at 3911.
>> Hunk #3 FAILED at 3927.
>> Hunk #4 FAILED at 4575.
>> 3 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/graphics.cc.rej
>>
>> Can you generate a mercurial changeset against the current sources?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Ups, sorry for the inconvenience. This was of course the wrong file. I
> send you the right one in the present mail.
>
> Kostas
> <aspectratios2.changeset>

With this changeset, I'm not getting the correct result for "axis equal". See
the LL plot for ...

        demo ("axis", 1)

Also, the 5th demo gives me an error.

        demo ("axis", 1)

axis example 5:
 clf
 axis image
 x=0:0.1:10;
 plot(x,sin(x))
 axis image
 title("image")

error: __actual_axis_position__: quotient: nonconformant arguments (op1 is 1x2,
op2 is 1x3)
error: called from:
error:
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/private/__actual_axis_position__.m
 at line 65, column 33
error:
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/__go_draw_axes__.m
 at line 71, column 9
error:
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/__go_draw_figure__.m
 at line 86, column 17
error:
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m
 at line 90, column 5
error: input: reading user-input failed!
error:
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/scripts/testfun/demo.m at
line 110, column 7

Ben

p.s. we dropped off the list, so I've reattached you changeset, in case others
want to take a look.