Re: Comparing plots to Matlab

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Comparing plots to Matlab
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:59:25 -0600

2010/12/2 bpabbott <address@hidden>:
> On Dec 02, 2010, at 12:36 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Why are there scanlines or something like it in the fltk plots that
> > have colour patches?
>

> My understanding is that OpenGL triangulates all patches and then draws the
> triangles. By "scanlines" do you mean artifacts of that process?

I think so. It shows up in the gl2ps plot, but not on the on-screen
fltk plot. It looks sort of like when you convert a photograph, say of
a person's face, into an .eps file. Do you need me to draw and point
out explicitly point out what I'm referring to?

> Perhaps there is some other solution for producing output that will hide the
> triangular mesh?

I can't think of anything other than glReadPixels. I also ask again,
is a vector image format the right format for these pictures? The 3d
surfaces produced by print also look a little weird with the fltk
backend. I didn't run Soren's script (I'm sorry, but where is the
latest version again?), but I imagine this also produces really large
image files.

- Jordi G. H.