Re: Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: Are we (nearly) ready for 3.4 yet?
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 01:57:55 -0800 (PST)

Another problem, which is surfacing from times to times: liboctave is not
thread safe. In short, it contains either static/persistent/global
variables, either it returns buffer to statically allocated data. I had a
very quick look at liboctave, searched for 'static' keyword, and found two
files, tempname.c and tempnam.c, whose copyright is
/* Copyright (C) 1991, 1992, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This file is part of the GNU C Library.

This is to say that, since 14 years (I looked into the revision control),
those sources are disconnect from gnu libc. Shouldn't we set, as new metric:
1) identify and remove those leftovers
2) identify static/persistent/global variables, and mark them for
modifications ?

Regards

Pascal