Re: help with mercurial

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: help with mercurial
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 07:24:00 -0600

On 20 January 2011 05:05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the past we created separate Mercurial archives for the release
> branches.  That had some advantages, like a very low probability of
> accidental merges or commits on the wrong branch, no cluttering of the
> main archive with a branch that few people would be working with.  But
> it also had the big disadvantage of being mostly hidden from view.  So
> I'm thinking of making the release-3-4-x branch a named branch on the
> savannah archive.  I think I know how to do that.  But I'd also like
> to put the older release-3-0-x and release-3-2-x branches there too,
> both as named branches.  Does anyone here know what is needed to do
> that?

Isn't this what you would like to do?

      https://bitbucket.org/brodie/named-branches-example/wiki/Home

I've pointed at this example before, so maybe not.

You're not expecting git-like branches, are you? Mercurial branches
are a bit more permanent than git-branches. What makes sense to me is
that example, two separate branches, and to use tags to mark releases,
not a whole separate branch per stable release, especially seeing how
we don't backport bug fixes to several stable releases, only to the
last one.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.