Re: PCRE library requirement

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Re: PCRE library requirement
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 07:51:34 -0500

On Feb 1, 2011, at 4:03 AM, Jarno Rajahalme wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2011, at 0:10 , ext Richard Campbell wrote:
>> I am aware of Macports and Fink, third party package managers and 'port'
>> systems that have a truly horrifying effect on the operating system.
>
> Could you please enlighten me a bit? I've been happy using macports on my
> system, and have not noticed any problems at all. Also, I like the fact that
> I can update the packages with a single command. So what exactly are these
> "truly horrifying effects"?
>
>  Jarno

Another part of my motivation: we do a lot of work where you have to fly across
the country, get past a scowling IA guy, go into a locked room, and install
your code on a computer with no connection to the outside world, and you don't
even necessarily know what OS it's going to be until you're there. So you have
to bring a burned CD with source of any dependencies. Usually for us this just
means FFTW and netCDF, and the reasonable expectation that they've got a
version of gcc that's version 4.1 or newer. The rules change every year but
they're probably going to get a lot more strict after the events of this past
fall. Add to the fact that neither me nor any of my coworkers are actually IT
professionals - we're oceanographers. Hopefully that helps explain my
predisposition toward having a very small set of dependencies that are known
well in advance.

Campbell