Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:45:01 -0500

On Feb 10, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> OK, once again I tried to install Octave from source---with the usual lack
>>> of success.  First I installed the latest version of Xcode. Then I
>>> installed Gnu Fortran 4.2.4 for Mac OS X 10.6. I even installed the latest
>>> Gnu sed. In the end,
>>>
>>> $ tar xzf octave-3.4.0.tar.gz
>>> $ cd octave-3.4.0
>>> $ mkdir build && cd build
>>> $ ../configure  --enable-shared --disable-static
>>>
>>> only produced
>>>
>>> configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible
>>>                 with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.
>>>

>>> At least for me, compiling Octave from source files on a Macintosh is
>>> utterly hopeless.
>>>
>>> As I said before, any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Vic
>>
>> Please see the "README.MacOS" ... some updates are also available ...
>>
>>      http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/a754c2d8a13f/README.MacOS
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Thanks for the advice, Ben. My problem is with the BLAS library.
>
> Unfortunately the directives
>
>  * blas/lapack
>   - For 64 bit, a non-Xcode 64 bit Atlas may be used. Alternatively,
>     a wrapper for Apple's vecLib framework may be used.
>

> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-January/022541.html
>
> don't help. I can't figure out how to install an appropriate BLAS library.
>
> I did try
>
>   export FC="/usr/bin/gfortran"
>   export CFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
>   export FFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>   export CPPFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_REENTRANT -D__LISTS__"
>   export LDFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>   ../configure --disable-readline --disable-docs
>
> as per your README.MacOS source, but the same old problem repeats itself:
>
>   configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible
>   with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

For now, if you're not able to install a 64 bit blas or able to apply the
blaswrapper, then I recommend building the 32 bit version.

We hope to be able to have Octave automatically work around Apple's 64bit BLAS
bug, but that is a work in progress.

Ben

p.s. please "reply-all", and respond at the bottom so that those arriving late
can follow along.