Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 3.4.0 Released (Mac OSX?)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:07:06 -0500

It's hopeless, Ben. I tried

   export CFLAGS="-m32"
   export FFLAGS="-m32 -ff2c"
   export CPPFLAGS="-m32 -D_REENTRANT"
   export LDFLAGS="-m32"
   ./configure --disable-readline --disable-docs
   make

At least I didn't get

   configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found
   incompatible with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

from the configure step, but make produced

   grep: /usr/lib/libiconv.la: No such file or directory
   /usr/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libiconv.la: No such file or directory
   libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libiconv.la' is not a valid libtool archive
   make[3]: *** [liboctinterp.la] Error 1
   make[2]: *** [check] Error 2
   make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
   make: *** [check] Error 2

There is certainly nothing that looks like 'libiconv.la' in /usr/lib/.

I guess I'll stick with Octave 3.2.3 for the next few years, until some guru
compiles a Mac binary of a more recent version.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Vic