Improvements in subplot

From: Konstantinos Poulios
Subject: Improvements in subplot
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:57:37 +0100

Hi all,

I have implemented an idea that I had about subplot. You can try it by
using the attached m-files.

It is not finished yet, so expect some issues (e.g. when subplots do
not have any titles or axes labels).

However the basic concept, seems to work quite well.

Some points that I could mention:

1. For both gnuplot and octave if the align_axes option is not
present, "activepositionproperty" is set to "position". So we decline
from ML, but I think this makes sense because MLs' subplots are not
perfect either.

2. Only for fltk, I used listeners in order to notify all subplots
when tightinset of one of them changes.

3. Only for fltk, I used the looseinset property in order to align
axes in column rows and columns. The result is quite neat, see the
attached png's. This is the reason for using
"activepositionproperty"="position", otherwise looseinset would have
no effect.

4. I have some concerns about the performance since there is a
significant number of listeners involved. On my pc however it seems to
perform quite well:
||octave:40> kostas_subplot_test
||1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.09 secs
||2. Add some data to the plots: 0.33 secs
||3. Add titles: 0.35 secs
||4. Add axes labels: 0.79 secs

5. For the moment this implementation works only for normalized units,
so I have to add some units conversion inside a protected context. It
is in my TODO list.

I would like to have some comments and testing on this solution.

@Ben, could you test the gnuplot part, which I am not very familiar with?

Best regards

Kostas