Re: stable and default branches

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: stable and default branches
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:09:39 -0400

On  7-Apr-2011, Rik wrote:

| I went ahead and introduced a stable branch to the repo and checked in a
| documentation change on it (changeset: 6a4e042b6114).
|
| As a quick guide for others, use 'hg update <default | stable>' to switch
| between branches.  I'm finding it easier to maintain one directory tree for
| each branch rather than switching back and forth in the same tree and
| causing unnecessary rebuilds.  My setup is a directory called "octave-doc"
| which is set to the "stable" branch and directory "octave-dev" set to the
| "default" branch.  Once the branch has been set 'hg pull ; hg update' will
| do its normal job of getting changes and updating you to the tip of your
| current branch.

Thanks.

I noticed that after pulling, I was on the stable branch and had to
explicitly say "hg update -C default" to get back on default.  But as
you say, after doing that, my local copy should stay on default after
further updates.  I'm not sure why it switched in this case.
I also closed the release-3-4-x branch.