Re: Successfully merged projects

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:34:10 -0400

On 11-Apr-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| But all of the keybindings are unfamiliar. C-z doesn't undo. C-c
| doesn't copy. The words are all wrong too: it's called font-lock, not
| syntax highlighting. A frame is a window and a window is a pane. It
| opens by default in lisp evaluation mode. And where is the meta key
| anyways?

OK, those are good points.  Funny that Emacs terminology was around
before the other, or at least I think that's probably the case.

| You are like a fish in water, unable to see the ocean  and forgetting
| what it was like to learn how to swim. The Emacs Tao flows through you
| and you through it.

It may look like that, and I can see your point, but seriously, I'm
looking at the way Emacs starts now and I'm trying to imagine being a
newbie, but not a complete idiot.  I.e., someone who knows what an
editor is for, and just wants to create a text file.  I think if I
started up the current Emacs on a modern system, I would have no
problem creating a text file or opening an existing file, changing it,
and then saving it.  I don't think this is because I understand defun,
so therefore I can't understand how complicated it supposedly was to
learn.  Really, I'm trying to look at this objectively.  Are you sure
you are not convinced that it is still hard to start using it because
it used to be harder, not because it is still hard?  And to be clear,
I'm talking about simply starting it up and using it to create text
files, not using gud mode to run gdb to debug a process running
remotely on an embedded device.  Doing that comes later.  But everyone
gets started by editing a file.

Richard, what editor do you normally use for programming?