Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:14:42 +0200

I'm building on a Debian system.  What packages do I need?

I am working with Ubuntu and it is safe to install the QtCreator. It should pull all dependencies needed to build Qt apps.

I think we need to make it a priority to properly integrate building
with the usual GNU style configure+make system.  I should be able to
configure and build out of the source tree without having to modify
any files in the source tree itself (at least from a distribution
tarball).

qmake invokes other tools, like the uic or moc to generate special code that enables features of Qt that otherwise would not be available in a standard C++ only library. Imitating this behaviour may be possible, but not easy. In order to save us a lot of headaches it's a good solution to keep the build processes independent from each other and build each project for itself.

Also, make dist needs to be able to work correctly with the automake
rules for building distribution tarballs.

I would also like to see the code we are writing follow the coding
style of the rest of Octave.

I already spoke with Jordi about this. The coding style proposed by GNU is disastrous, but I feel like we have no other choice here.

There seem to be a number of files in the gui/src directory that have
been copied there from other projects.  Is that the usual thing to do,
or do these files exist in some libraries that we should be using
instead of copying the sources into Octave?  If some of the files in
thee gui/src directory are not maintained by us, then I would like to
separate them from the sources that we do write ourselves.  Then the
ones that are imported can be mostly left as is, so that it will be
easy to update them when the upstream version changes and it will be
clearer to me which files are the ones we maintain directly, and so
should be subject to Octave's coding standards.

The point is I copied the files itself and modified them heavily to fit our needs just to have a working project. Also I am planning to remove them on the long-term and replace them by better code. The whole terminal emulation is really far more than we really need, it's overcomplicated. By that I mean, it draws the terminal as a picture receiving keypresses and mouseclicks as any other widget. The clean solution would be of replace it by a QTextEdit and throw away tons of unmaintanable code.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .