Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:36:47 -0400

On Apr 18, 2011, at 12:31 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 18-Apr-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | > Can you share that conversation?
> |
> |      http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/gnu-style.log
> |
> | I'm JordiGH and Jacob is xhoch3.
>
> OK, I looked at this and I'm not sure what your plans are for
> reformatting.  I would say you should not reformat any code that was
> imported from some other KDE/Qt project and that is expected to be
> maintained separately by someone else, and that we just copy and use.
> That code should probably even be stored in a separate directory.
>
> As for Sparse and other Array and Matrix classes in Octave, I wish I
> had not used caps in the names.  I would much prefer to see
> sparse_qr_rep rather than CamelCase, since I find CamelCase hard to
> read.
>
> Another organizational point is that you currently have all the Qt
> code in gui.  I think maybe it should be in gui/qt instead, since we
> may eventually have another GUI based on a different toolkit.  Longer
> term, it seems to me that it would be nice to abstract as much of the
> interface as possible so as to make it easier to swap out the toolkit
> later if that is needed.
>
> Similarly shouldn't we also have a Qt counterpart to the current FLTK
> graphics code?
>
> jwe

I have started a conversion of the GTK graphics backend code to QT.  I
basically have the main window stuff working (no OpenGL rendering yet), but
wanted something rudimentary working before submitting it.  This is based on
the GTK backend that Michael Goffioul and I worked on (mostly Michael).

John Swensen