Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:20:34 +0200

On 6/23/2011 11:45 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello

--- On Wed, 2011/6/22, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:

Hi,

I am using Octave for all my scientific work.
But I have also faced some problems regarding performance in file loading.

I have data files, that are 500 - 1000 MB in size, with 133 columns of data.

I am loading a log file (500 MB) and then creating up to 10 plots of them.
Here is the performance:

* Linux: File loading + plotting: 3 minutes

* Windows XP(MinGw): File loading + plotting: 30-40 minutes.

Pipe on windows is rather slow. It is possible that plotting is the determining
step for windows case.

How about the same test octave on the cygwin?  The cygwin's pipe is not slow as
that of native octave.

cygwin-1.7.9 is broken for octave plot.
If someone want to make the test, I suggest the usage
of a recent snapshot as replacement of cygwin1.dll
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

But he reported a very slow file open operation, so I doubt cygwin could be faster. Specially if some Antivirus or Windows itself is the
real root cause.

Regards

Tatsuro
Marco