Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 23:08:06 +0200

Hi,
apologies if this mail breaks threading, but I had to copy the
"In-Reply-To" header by hand from
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-June/024116.html
The mail never seemed to have reached my inbox.

On 27-Jun-2011, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 27-Jun-2011, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > Eh, no. I don't think that a soname of 0.0.0 is a sign of a properly
> > handled soname. This is not an issue in itself right now, but soname
> > handling isn't that easy - I can't tell you much about it due to lack
> > of knowledge on my part. But as I said, it doesn't matter much - it's
> > a non-issue right now.

> What number should we have used as a starting point?

Right, that shall teach my not to jump to conclusions. I thought the
0.0.0 just happens to be added by libtool automatically, not that it was
the actual start for the soname numbering.

However, I think that the 3.2 series did the following by default:
        ln -s liboctave.so liboctave.so.3.2.4
If that is true (can't check right now), I suggest starting with
something that is bigger than 3.2.4 as soname.

        Thomas