Successful build of octave-3.4.2 on CentOS 6, unsuccessful on CentOS 5.6

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Successful build of octave-3.4.2 on CentOS 6, unsuccessful on CentOS 5.6
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:06:59 -0400

I tried all day to compile Octave from source on CentOS 5.6 and was unable to
do so (compiler is too old, libstdc++ is too old, &c.). Finally I gave up and
tried it in CentOS 6, and it worked right away.

It may still be an issue that it doesn't compile on CentOS 5.x as NAVSEA
requires either RHEL 5 or CentOS 5 for official use (my guess is this will
change as CentOS 6 just became available yesterday). I may have to walk back
through older versions of Octave and find one that compiles with the older
dependencies, although I would much prefer to use the latest version.

Here is my build script for CentOS 6, starting from a minimal system, in case
it helps anyone.

set -e

# satisfy any dependencies possible with yum
yum -y install readline-devel gcc gcc-gfortran gcc-c++ flex pcre-devel
blas-devel lapack-devel curl-devel bison gperf gnuplot texinfo-tex tetex-dvips

# compile fftw3 and fftw3f from source
curl -O http://www.fftw.org/fftw-3.2.2.tar.gz && rm -rf fftw-3.2.2 && tar zxf
fftw-3.2.2.tar.gz
cd fftw-3.2.2
CFLAGS='-fPIC' ./configure prefix=/usr
make -j4 && make install
make clean
CFLAGS='-fPIC' ./configure prefix=/usr --enable-float
make -j4 && make install
cd ..

# compile octave from source
curl -O ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/octave-3.4.2.tar.bz2 && rm -rf
octave-3.4.2 && tar jxf octave-3.4.2.tar.bz2
cd octave-3.4.2
./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
make -j4 && make install