Re: Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge bugs in the tracker?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:07:58 +0200

fre, 22 07 2011 kl. 10:05 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On 22-Jul-2011, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | On the Octave-Forge list there is currently a discussion on how we
> | should handle bugs in packages. Currently, we have no bug-tracker and
> | use e-mail for keeping track of them (like Octave used to do). This
> | isn't the most reliable system, so we are considering using a
> | bug-tracker.
> |
> | The question is then: can we use the one Octave uses? That would give
> | users a single point of entry for filing bugs. Currently users cannot
> | figure out where to send bugs (Octave gets bugs for Octave-Forge and
> | vice-versa), so it would be nice to use the same system for everything.
>
> On savannah, you have to be a project member to do things like close
> bug reports.  And as far as I know, the restrictions on what project
> members can do is not very fine grained.  So if we made all Octave
> Forge package developers members of the Octave project on savannah to
> allow them to manipulate the bug database, they would also have
> complete access to the Mercurial archive for Octave itself.  Sorry,
> but I'm not comfortable doing that at the moment.

I did not know this was the case. I agree with you on this one: we
should not have a horde of people manipulating the bug database.

> If you want to begin aligning the Octave Forge project more closely
> with the Octave project, how about moving it to savannah, but possibly
> renaming it "Octave Packages" or something similar to avoid the
> confusion that I think arises partly because of URL used for Octave
> Forge is "octave.sf.net" rather than "octave-forge.sf.net".

I think moving to Savannah is a good idea (SourceForge is particularly
joyful to work with anyway). Regarding the name, then I was never really
a fan of "Octave-Forge", so I wouldn't mind switching.

> If the packages were hosted on savannah, maybe we could modify
> savannah's bug tracker so that we could move bugs from one project to
> another, so that if people submitted bug reports to the Octave tracker
> for a package function, we could simply reassign it to the bug tracker
> for the Octave packages project.

Do you know if this is indeed possible?

Søren