Finally, succesful developer build on OSX.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Finally, succesful developer build on OSX.
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:35:26 -0400

On 20-Sep-2011, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:

| Good evening,
|
| I finally managed to build octave from the current developer sources. The
build goes all the way through, but then "make check" dies. I've looked with
hexdump and there were no ASCII 0 characters in the file mentioned below, so I
guess it's a problem with file reading.

| Any idea, where I might look for the cause?
|
|       Alex
|
| make -C test check
| ./build_sparse_tests.sh
| ./build_bc_overload_tests.sh ./bc_overloads_expected
| ../run-octave --norc --silent --no-history ./fntests.m .
| warning: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 95, column 2
| error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 215, column 2
| parse error near line 215 of file
/usr/local/src/dev/octave/scripts/set/unique.m

|  syntax error
|

| error: called from:
| error:   /usr/local/src/dev/octave/scripts/optimization/__all_opts__.m at
line 56, column 11
| error:   /usr/local/src/dev/octave/scripts/optimization/PKG_ADD at line 2,
column 5

| make[1]: *** [check] Error 1
| make: *** [check] Error 2

This problem has been reported before, and I think it is due to a
version of flex that generates bad code.

See for example:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/error-invalid-character-ASCII-0-near-line-164-column-2-td1640407.html

What version of flex do you have?