Re: Handling "parfor" as "for"

From: Mark Everitt
Subject: Re: Handling "parfor" as "for"
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:04:44 -0700 (PDT)

By adding a couple of lines in octave.gperf I produced the alias to "for"
that I wanted.
After compilation the addition appears to work as expected. I've attached a
patch for
octave.gperf and the updated file itself which amount to the addition of two
lines, one
for parfor and one for endparfor (although this will never appear in matlab
code I put
it in for completeness).

This doesn't give Octave the ability to handle parfor as Matlab does with
the
distributed toolbox, but it gives it similar behaviour as Matlab has when it
falls back
in the absence of the toolbox.

Any thoughts on this?

In a separate effort I'm attempting to write a pararrayfun function for
Matlab that
uses parfor. With this, Octave code using pararrayfun will execute in
parallel on
both. I've hit a wall though. Off the top of your heads, does anyone know
how to fill
the arguments of a function with a variable number of arguments from a
vector?
i.e.

Matlab doesn't seem to like eval inside parfor so I can't use that. This is
probably a
question for another thread though.

Mark

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n3846204/octave.gperf.patch