Re: Windows binaries and 3.2.4

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Windows binaries and 3.2.4
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso-2 wrote:

> On 27 October 2011 09:32, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It seems that there has been great success in getting 3.4.3 to build
>> on Windows platforms.
>
> As Philip and Nitzan have pointed out, that's debatable.

Apart from the graphics issue (and perhaps something with double "\" needed
here and there in unpredictable fashion, I forgot), 3.4.3 on MinGW is not
THAT bad. Au contraire; for example, it is much faster in a lot of things
than 3.2.4, and -as Rik pointed out- has a lot of bug fixes and better
functionality.

>> It feels like the bug tracker has seen a lot of reports lately for
>> issues filed against the 3.2.4 version of Octave on Windows.
> [snip]
>> Part of the problem is the Octave for Windows page
>> (http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows) which shows 3.2.4
>> as the first release.
>
> No, I don't think that's why all Windows users are using 3.2.4. They
> go to octave.org which points to Windows binaries on octave.sf.net and
> the only one listed there is 3.2.4. It looks like *we* are still
> saying, "use 3.2.4 on Windows" because that's what we are directly
> linking to.

Can't Nitzan's 7z's be put up at the top in a replacement for 3.2.4,
accompanied by a request for help with building an installer?

> Sadly, 3.2.4 is still the best we can offer Windows users. If the
> compilation is done, the installer seems pretty easy to do.

"the best"?
As far as polishing the installer stuff goes, yes. (And stability may be
somewhat better.)
But from pure Octave perspective, 3.4.3 is simply superior.

Again, apart from bug #34631, I couldn't find real showstopper problems in
Tatsuro's builds. Only some minor things, most of which seem to have been
fixed.

It is just how you balance things.

Philip,
> you were asking about it. Ben's code for the installer is under svn
> here:
>

> http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/admin/Windows/mingw32/octave.nsi.in?revision=7205&view=markup&pathrev=8276

Good, so this "just needs a bit of updating" to current situation, it seems.
Hmmm... although (at first glance) I didn't spot the packages stuff (+
interdependencies).

Like Benjamin, Nitzan has done a lot of backlog maintenance on several OF
packages to get them compiled/installed.

All in all I think this would be a good time for someone to start working on
an installer; all pieces seem to be in place.
In the mean time, the graphics bug might be tackled; I (hope / suspect) it
is something simple like overflow in some font table or so; after a "close
all" or "close" the bug seems neutralized. I'll update the bug info in the
tracker.

Philip