Re: Ideas for auto BSX

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Ideas for auto BSX
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:55:29 -0500

2011/12/14 Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> Octave already has a bunch of code that is difficult to automatically
> translate into Matlab. Unwind-protect? Functions defined in script
> files as opposed to function files? Generating intermediate variables
> when indexing temporaries?

Yes, but it's "easy" to write octave code that doesn't hit those
barriers via style and it's also somewhat easy for the translator to
tell you that it can't figure it out. Attempting to write octave code
that has a chance to run on matlab became much more difficult.

Also, surprisingly I recently found a bug in my own code where auto
bsx behavior was masking a higher-level error. In this case the error
was that a first computation step should have produced a square matrix
(bug was there--forgot a transpose) and then the result was added to
another square matrix that should have been the same size.

--judd