Re: Snapshot 3.5.91

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Snapshot 3.5.91
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 17:31:43 -0800

On 12/23/2011 04:59 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 19:28:05 -0500
> From: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Octave 3.5.91 snapshot available for ftp
>
> On 15-Dec-2011, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
> A new snapshot of Octave is now available from alpha.gnu.org in the
> directory /gnu/octave:
>
>   8a8aa118b5037ea66918fc42217ae030  octave-3.5.91.tar.gz
>
>   -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 18098644 Dec 24 00:20 octave-3.5.91.tar.gz
>
> The snapshot is tagged in the usual way (ss-3-5-91) in the Mercurial
> archive.
The snapshot builds and all tests pass on Kubuntu 10.04.  A caveat to this
is that my system is a developer's system and has every library necessary
installed and easily found by configure.

I don't know if this is just my system, but the documentation had to be
re-built during the build.  This shouldn't happen and it makes it harder on
systems where a complete Texinfo is not available.

In this case, the problem was that the file src/DOCSTRINGS embedded in the
tar.gz file differed by a single space from the DOCSTRINGS file created
during the local build.  Make detected the difference and caused a full
rebuild of the documentation.  The problem is line 10009 of src/DOCSTRINGS
where "codes " should just be "codes".  I went back, with Mercurial, to
revision ss-3-5-91 and built a new tarball and the DOCSTRINGS file is
correct.  The docstring for daspk_options comes from src/DASPK-opts.cc, but
this file is auto-generated from liboctave/DASPK-opts.in.  The build chain
is pretty long at this point.  It might be necessary to delete
src/*-opts.cc and have these files be re-generated before creating a tar
ball.  The Make rules must be mostly right, however, because I can do
'touch ../liboctave/DASPK-opts.in; make' and everything gets rebuilt.

--Rik