Re: Snapshot 3.5.91

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Snapshot 3.5.91
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 12:24:11 -0500

On 24-Dec-2011, Rik wrote:

| I don't know if this is just my system, but the documentation had to be
| re-built during the build.  This shouldn't happen and it makes it harder on
| systems where a complete Texinfo is not available.
|
| In this case, the problem was that the file src/DOCSTRINGS embedded in the
| tar.gz file differed by a single space from the DOCSTRINGS file created
| during the local build.  Make detected the difference and caused a full
| rebuild of the documentation.  The problem is line 10009 of src/DOCSTRINGS
| where "codes " should just be "codes".  I went back, with Mercurial, to
| revision ss-3-5-91 and built a new tarball and the DOCSTRINGS file is
| correct.  The docstring for daspk_options comes from src/DASPK-opts.cc, but
| this file is auto-generated from liboctave/DASPK-opts.in.  The build chain
| is pretty long at this point.  It might be necessary to delete
| src/*-opts.cc and have these files be re-generated before creating a tar
| ball.  The Make rules must be mostly right, however, because I can do
| 'touch ../liboctave/DASPK-opts.in; make' and everything gets rebuilt.

I created the 3.5.91 tar file by running make dist in my stable branch
build tree.  I didn't run any make clean target before creating the
distribution tar file, so maybe there was some old file left over.
Whatever the reason, I tried again, this time building the dist file
from a clean checkout from mercurial and it did not seem to have this
problem.  In the future, I'll try to remember to create dist files from
a clean source tree.