RE: Octave 3.6.0-rc1 release candidate available for ftp

From: Robinson, Melvin D
Subject: RE: Octave 3.6.0-rc1 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:27:34 +0000

From: Robinson, Melvin D
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:36 PM
To: Ben Abbott

From: Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:21:42 -0500
To: Melvin Robinson <address@hidden>

On Jan 13, 2012, at 12:11 AM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

On Jan 12, 2012, at 10:16 PM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

On 1/12/12 8:52 PM, "Ben Abbott" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2012, at 9:40 PM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

On 1/12/12 8:35 PM, "Ben Abbott" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2012, at 9:16 PM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

I'm having some problems with make check on Lion. Fedora worked fine.
Can you tell me about Lukas' modified port file?  I missed that email.

Melvin

The modified portfile for rc1 is attached.

Make sure you have qhull_2010.3 installed.

sudo port activate qhull @2010.1_3

Ben

I have 2011.2 installed.  On Macports:

butterfly:octave-3.6.0-rc1 melrobin$ port list qhull
qhull                          @2011.2         math/qhull

It appears that only @2010.1_3 is unavailable.  Can you tell me what I I
can do to install that version?

Please respond below so that those who arrive late can follow along.

If you tried to activate "qhull @2010_3" and that failed, then you can
install the older version by ...

 sudo port install qhull @2010.1_3

Ben

Is there something crazy about my system?  I uninstalled 2011.2 and used
sudo port install qhull @2010.1_3 as you said and it reinstalled hull
2011.2_1.

What does "port installed | grep qhull" return for you ?

I get ....

port installed | grep qhull
qhull @2010.1_3 (active)
qhull @2011.1_0
qhull @2011.1_1
qhull @2011.2_1

Ben

Something has gone amiss for me:

butterfly:~ melrobin$ port installed | grep qhull
qhull @2011.2_1 (active)

Ok. What is the result of ...

     sudo port install qhull @2010.1_3

Ben

butterfly:~ melrobin$ sudo port install qhull @2010.1_3
--->  Cleaning qhull

It seems that no action was taken.  I never installed qhull @2010.1_3 so maybe that's the problem.

$ sudo port selfupdate

Maybe that helps?

Jarno

Thanks!  I'm trying that and it is building gcc47 which should take a looooooong time.

You'll want to avoid gcc46 and gcc47. These gcc versions don't support "-arch=x86_64" ... Unless macports is doing something to patch Octave's sources ?

I recommend you use the gcc45 and fltk variants. The port command should be something like ...

sudo install octave36 @3.6.0-rc1_0 +atlas+fltk+gcc45

If you are able to build Octave using gcc47, please let me know. So far gcc46 has not worked for me.

Ben

I have gotten Octave to build a few times using gcc46…just the make checks (crashes on eigs and fails all convhulln.m) don't produce the best results.  I'll try with gcc45 and variants and then with gcc47.  I did have to use your sed commands to get it to work with gcc46.

It finally finished sudo port selfupdate and sudo port outdated.  Still no options to install an older qhull, do you happen to see arpack-ng being available?  I saw on the Python mailing list that arpack-ng had been ported to a number of platforms, but do not see it as of this morning.