Re: Benchmark with some of today's high-level scientific languages

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: Benchmark with some of today's high-level scientific languages
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 19:24:26 -0300

That is true!

I have no skills at the time to contribute then. :-(

Regards,
Júlio.

2012/2/4 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
2012/2/4 Júlio Hoffimann <address@hidden>:
> I find it
> interesting: http://perso.telecom-paristech.fr/~garivier/code/index.php
>
> 1) What is the source of performance discrepancy in Matlab/Octave runs?

Lack of JIT compiling. All of the Matlab files are tick-tocking loops,
sometimes nested loops. Also, unnecessary loops. This is poorly
vectorised code. The more nesting, the worse the difference becomes.

> 2) What we can do for Octave become faster?

Implement JIT compiling or vectorise this code.

- Jordi G. H.