Re: polyfit: add the ability to specify the polynomial template

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: polyfit: add the ability to specify the polynomial template
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:09:06 -0500

On 5 February 2012 11:56, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:

> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2 wrote
>>

>> Okay, thanks. I didn't notice before that you wanted to patch on
>> stable. The current plan is to be very conservative about patching
>> stable, and only we only fix regressions and critical bugs on stable.
>> I think this should be done on default instead.
>>
>> Or is there a reason I'm not seeing for why this is a regression or
>> critical bug?

> So, I agree that in 99% of the cases the actual behaviour is not a
> regression nor a bug. But in case of problems, you don't have specific
> indicators about your model validity.

I know the urge to patch stable, but I think we have to be really
conservative. I myself have broken ols.m on 3.6.0 and need to fix it
for 3.6.1, so I'm wary of applying patches on stable unless it's
really clear that they work.

Doesn't this 99% not-a-problem mean it's not a critical bug and the
patch can go on default?

I'm not trying to be contrarian. I just think stable really has to be
stable, even if it's a little old.

- Jordi G. H.