Re: polyfit: add the ability to specify the polynomial template

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: polyfit: add the ability to specify the polynomial template
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:05:23 -0500

On 7 February 2012 12:45, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would also emphasise the fact that I switched to Octave (what was the
> first version I used ? 1.something ? Is it possible ?) because I wanted to
> have access to the sources, and be able to correct bugs and inaccuracies,
> and see them integrated on the long term into the mainsteam code.
>
> So if you prefer to see the patch applied to default and not stable, it's OK
> if it percolates into stable on the midterm.

One of the reasons why we moved to the different branch structuring in
hg was to have faster releases. We want a stable release every 4-6
months, aiming closer to the 4-month mark, and in that time fix issues
on stable, make it *really* stable, even if outdated by a few months.

On this schedule, the 3.8 release should happen around June or July
(heh, maybe we can even do the release during OctConf 2012).

If you're a developer, you should be comfortable using developer
sources until then. The slowness of release cycles is necessary in
order to ensure stability. Most users don't care about this issue, but
since you do care and you're able to fix it, you should be able to use
the development build for personal use until the changes trickle down
to a stable release.

Does this seem fair?

- Jordi G. H.