Re: FLTK vs. Octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: FLTK vs. Octave
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:59:55 -0500

On Feb 19, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Robinson, Melvin D wrote:

> Undoubtedly this has been covered many many times before, but I'm new to
> Octave and wanted to know a little about the history.
>
> Why did Octave switch from GnuPlot to FLTK?  GnuPlot seems pretty modern in
> that it is still updated, so I just wanted to know why FLTK was a better fit
> for the direction that Octave was taking.

We need to add this to our FAQ.

The reason Octave developers have decided to move away from gnuplot and toward
a OpenGL based solution is to improve compatibility with Matalb and to enable
more control over the graphics and permit support for gui objects.

In any event, gnuplot support still exists. I assume you are using a windows
binary for which the graphics toolkit has been set to fltk by default. To
switch back to gnuplot, you can type ...

        close all
        graphics_toolkit gnuplot

Ben