When cross compiling how to tell ./configure where libraries are?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: When cross compiling how to tell ./configure where libraries are?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:25:47 -0500

On 28-Feb-2012, Corbin Champion wrote:

| So, I see that you can use these to tell it where some of the libraries are:
|
| --with-fftw3-libdir
| --with-fftw3-includedir
| --with-blas
| --with-lapack
| etc
|
| but, I don't see how to tell it where pcre and readline are.  I tried a couple
| of things like --with-pcre-libdir and --with-pcre-includedir, but that was in
| vain.  What is the right way to do this?  Maybe I should manually move these
| where it is looking?  Where might that be?

Although I'm the one who added all those options (I was trying to
handle all the library dependencies in a consistent way) I think it is
better to just use LDFLAGS:

  configure LDFLAGS="-L/some/dir -L/some/other/dir"

I would also recommend that you install all the libraries you build in
a single directory.  It's much simpler that way.