Re: Is this the way to configure for static build of octave 3.6.1?

From: Corbin Champion
Subject: Re: Is this the way to configure for static build of octave 3.6.1?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:08:19 -0800

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On  1-Mar-2012, Corbin Champion wrote:

| On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:
|
|     Are these the extra switches needed?
|
|     --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-dl
|
|     Just want to confirm.  I ran into an issue, but it may not be related to
|     this.
|

| I have running configure and make in the normal way and all is fine.  This is
| the problem I am getting when using these options:
|
| make[3]: Circular DLD-FUNCTIONS/__delaunayn__.la <- liboctinterp.la dependency
| dropped.
| /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++ -g -O2  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
| -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings
| -Wcast-align -Wcast-qual -O -pthread -O -avoid-version -module
| -no-undefined     -o DLD-FUNCTIONS/__delaunayn__.la  DLD-FUNCTIONS/
| DLD_FUNCTIONS___delaunayn___la-__delaunayn__.lo liboctinterp.la ../liboctave/
| liboctave.la ../libcruft/libcruft.la   -lm
| libtool: link: cannot find the library `liboctinterp.la' or unhandled argument
| `liboctinterp.la'
|
| Is this a known issue?  Any suggestions?

What version?

I checked in some changes recently to allow "static" building to work.

Note that linking the final executable with a linker option like
"-static" to produce a truly static executable will only work if your
OS allows it.  A static build on my GNU/Linux system still depends on
shared system libraries.  But the Octave executable file has all of
the .oct files, libcruft, liboctave, and liboctinterp linked together
in one file.

jwe

Sorry, didn't reply to all the first time.

It is octave 3.6.1 .  Does that include your fix?  If not, is the fix simple and I can modify 3.6.1 and still work from a stable release, or do I need to roll forward?

I have been able to create other truly static executables.  I have used these to test out dependencies after I built them.  So, I am hoping your other warning is not going to be a problem.

Thanks!