Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: oz123
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 04:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

>Also the formatting of the online docs is ugly and hard to read for
>users used to modern formating such a wikipedia etc. The text is also
>extremely disjointed, for example the Installing Octave link leads to a
>page with 2 lines of text and four more links. The first link on this
>page ('Build Dependencies', which I would have called 'Obtaining
>Octave's Build Dependencies' incidentally) leads to another page with 2
>lines of text and three links. The first of these is 'Tips for Specific
>Systems', the first line on this page states:

>"The names of pre-compiled packages vary by system and do not always
>match exactly the names listed above."

>But no names have yet been mentioned, or packages, or anything, these
>are all in the links following the link to 'Tips for Specific Systems'
>on the previous page.

Richard,
thanks for putting that stuff in a clear way. Although I would not say
the documentation is ugly. That's of course a matter of taste.

I understand the last manual has to be update with every release,
but it's no reason to DELETE existing content from the wiki
(unless is inaccurate or outdated).

The history of the page shows that the content was deleted, and so far
I have not got a comment from
the person who deleted, why it was deleted.
My blog has a an entry on how to compile octave from sources on Debian,
and it's one of the most viewed entries in my Blog. This is, imho, a very
strong
indication that people who already obtained the sources, still find it hard
compile octave on their system.
So taking the wiki page off is shooting octave in the leg.

I'd like to restore that content in the wiki, but I don't want to go on wiki
war there. Therefore,  I posted here on the mailing list to hear your
opinions.
Can we restore that content? Why it was deleted?

Thanks for your replies.

Oz