GUI design

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: GUI design
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:55:32 -0400

I think it's clear that while we keep arguing in mailing lists about
how to design a GUI it becomes a matter of personal unsubstantiated
value judgements. In the meantime, we still have no GUI and we still
have people either not using Octave because it has no GUI and
resorting to non-free alternatives.

However, I have yet to see a negative review of GUI Octave, except
that it hangs or crashes on newer versions. People seem to really like
it. I therefore propose: let's adopt it as the gold standard of what
our own GUI should look like. It's what Windows users are primarily
installing as a GUI nowadays, and that's precisely the group we'd like
to capture. We have lots of evidence that this is good GUI design,
regardless of our personal opinions.

So, can we agree on this? Whenever we can't agree on what the Octave
GUI should look like, then it should look like GUI Octave.

- Jordi G. H.