Re: GUI design

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:14:29 +0200

On 28.03.2012, at 12:37, Richard Crozier wrote:

> As I understand it the devs are close to achieving the GUI Octave
> feature set already, or have possibly exceeded them?

> Whereas I
> think it better to produce something with the minimum feature set of GUI
> Octave, and add further features later, as a GUI with these features is
> better than nothing in my opinion.

I think there is a lot of bikeshedding going on here. There should be a few
basic goals for the GUI:

* code builds on Linux, Windows and Mac
* a command window
* a simple editor
* a file browser
* a help viewer
* a plot viewer

Once these basic things are completed and officially released (as soon as
possible), one could still add more advanced features, tweak the layout and, if
you like, argue whether Octave should include an IRC client or not.

Regards,
Lukas