Octave core and Forge

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octave core and Forge
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:12:49 -0400

On 5 April 2012 12:01, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Aaah, the Octave Core vs. Octave Forge story.

Yes, I wish we could fix this organisational issue once and for all.
One of my goals for this GSoC is to improve Savannah so at least we
can make it easier to move both OF to Savannah with little difficulty
to the people working on OF.

If not, perhaps during OctConf 2012, we can all sit down and think
long and hard about how to fix the core vs Forge schism. We really
should be working a lot closer together for many reasons. Will you be
able to come?

> I think we should group OF packages into different classes as the
> long list on
>  http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php is rather confusing. For
> example, we could use three classes:
>
> - main: only about a dozen of packages. The most popular ones, of
>   general use. High quality. Tested and actively
>   developed/maintained. What the average user needs, see debian
>   below.
>
> - extra: the less common ones. narrow scope, less tested, under
>   nconstruction, …
>
> - legacy: unmaintained, outdated and fragile ones, like the
>   "symbolic" package.

I very much like this idea. Can you do it?

> PS: Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Yeah, just change the subject line next time. I just did that.

- Jordi G. H.