Re: make check gives 258 errors

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: make check gives 258 errors
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:21:01 -0400

Moving this discussion to the maintainers' list, where it belongs.

2012/4/14 Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden>:

> [...]

People make mistakes. This is inevitable. Someone on the development
branch pushed a bad commit. These things happen; that's what a
development branch is for, for making mistakes. A few commits later,
the mistake got fixed. In the meantime, somebody noticed the mistake
and complained about it to the wrong mailing list, and you have called
us all kindergarteners for making a mistake.

If you really want to help to catch this sort of problem earlier, you
can help us setup Octave on Hydra. The GNU project has access to Hydra
which can help with autobuilding the Octave tree.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/devel.html

Since doing the things you want to do are so easy to do, you should
have no difficulty in sending us the appropriate recipe for building
Octave on Hydra:

    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hydra-recipes/

> If end users are not supposed to run development sources, disable public read
> access to the repository.

Every end user is potentially a developer, so we can and should let
anyone read our source tree. If you're not willing to participate in
development, however, then you shouldn't be using the development
sources, where people make mistakes and things change rapidly.

- Jordi G. H.