Re: Some GUI testing

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Some GUI testing
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:41:57 +0200

Hey Michael,

- large strings are still printed verbatim in the variable browser (try for instance "demo plotyy"), this makes it not user-friendly

I already know how to fix that, but I forgot to do it since the last time you mentioned this.

- keyboard shortcuts in the editor don't seem to work; for instance CTRL-S does not save the file; moreover if I click on the save button, the file is saved but then the editor tells me the file has been saved by another application and asks whether it should be reloaded...

I have to fix the shortcut contexts here.

- on a more general note, when the editor is docked, it's confusing to have the docked window having its own menubar (toolbar is probabl OK); I wouldn't worry about that at the moment, but that something that I would change on the long term

Oh, don't know how to fix that easily. I would probably have to readd the menu entries to the main toolbar, not sure if this works.

- when I dock the editor below the command window, there's no separator bar appearing and part of the UI is not resizeable (see screenshot): obviously I can't resize the editor vertically, but I also can't move the separator between the command/editor pair and the file browser

I didn't notice that yet, but I will have a look at it.

- using the "parent directory" button still seems to send (slowly) the command on the octave prompt, while opening the directory browser and selecting a directory does it on the background

Could probably fixed by sending a ch_dir("..") event, but I am not sure if that works.

- I would rename the file browser window; at the moment the title says "Current Directory", but I find it confusing as you also have the current directory in the main toolbar; what I don't know is whether both should be linked, as in the file browser always displaying the content of the current octave directory (thinking about it, I don't think it's desirable)

We discussed that in IRC and think that it should be synchronized, like it is done in similar software (tm).

I noticed that there's partial support for debugging: I added a keyboard statement in a script and was able to use keyboard shortcuts to step/continue/... However there's no visual display in the editor and I didn't find a way to set a breakpoint graphically. I assume this is still work in progress.

Right. Also I will add the Debug-menu into the editor, because it seems strange to me that while you set breakpoints and track the execution in the editor, you have to focus the main window to make debug actions. Adding breakpoints is still WIP, the difficult part here is that octave "thinks" in line numbers related to function signatures, but the editor does in file names. Also, what if you open a file multiple times or have different files with equal function names, but only one of these is actually the correct one? Although the goal is simple as "make the position show up in the editor", the logic behind it is very confusing. That is what keeps me from simply adding the last step.

On the good side, I also see that many things have already been fixed, so keep up the good work ;)

Michael.

Thank you =)