Re: something changed ...

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: something changed ...
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:25:19 -0400

On 26-Jul-2012, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Jul 26, 2012, at 11:28 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > On 26-Jul-2012, Ben Abbott wrote:
| >
| > | On Jul 26, 2012, at 10:18 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
'-L/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc45/gcc45/work/build/x86_64-apple-darwin11/libstdc++-v3/src'
'-L/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc45/gcc45/work/build/x86_64-apple-darwin11/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs'
'-L/opt/local/lib/gcc45/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin11/4.5.3'
'-L/opt/local/lib/gcc45/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin11/4.5.3/../../..'
| > | > |
My gcc has recently been upgraded to 4.5.4, but I can't determine where the
reference to the older 4.5.3 is coming from.  The entire link command is below
with the references to 4.5.3 near the end.
| > | > |

| > |
| > | I don't see any of them in the Makefile.  From liboctave, the following
come up empty.
| > |
| > |   fgrep -n "4.5.3" Makefile
| > |   fgrep -n "framework veclib" Makefile
| > |   fgrep -n "f77blas" Makefile
| >
| > Do any of these strings appear in any files in your build tree?  If
| > not, then I have no clue where those options are coming from.
| >
| > jwe
|

| Opps. I mis-spelled vecLib
|
|       fgrep -n "framework vecLib" Makefile
|       604:BLAS_LIBS = -framework vecLib
|
| Since I'm trying to link to vecLib, that makes sense.
|
| Perhap the atlas stuff is showing up because libtool detected that one or
more of the dependencies are linked to it? Might the
"-L/opt/local/lib/gcc45/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin11/4.5.3'" part also be due to a
dependency being built using gcc-4.5.3 and libtool detecting that?  That part
only produces a warning, so that's not critical at the moment (it will be when
I try to wrap everything into an Application bundle).

| In any event, the error is generated because I don't have a libf77blas. The
only mention of it I can find is in m4/ax_blas.m4.  Maybe there is a
feature/bug in what gnulib is doing?  Or maybe I'm really missing it (my atlas
maybe broken?).

In your original message, you showed some output that began with
"libtool link: ...".  Prior to that, there should have been a message
printed that begins with something like "/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX
--mode=link ...".  That is the actual libtool command.  What you
showed is the link command that libtool actually executes.  Does the
-lf77blas option appear in the original libtool command that appears
in the Makefile?  If not, then I suppose it could be added by the
libtool script.  But that's not what I would expect since the BLAS
libraries should be part of the libtool command.  Libtool may add some
special options for linking shared libraries, but I'm unaware of any
special treatment of BLAS libraries.

Can you capture the entire output so that I can see the complete
libtool command and the command line that it generates and executes?

Can you also send me the libtool script that is generated for your
system?  It should be in the top-level directory of your Octave build
tree.