Re: Agora Octave: CSS preprocessors and continuous integration

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Agora Octave: CSS preprocessors and continuous integration
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:10:44 -0400

On 10 August 2012 01:31, Wendy Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Continuous integration: Unit tests are very helpful in a project of this
> complexity. As development proceeds and the codebase increases in size, so
> will the number of tests and so, too, will the time taken to run all the
> tests. After a while it will become too cumbersome to run the tests
> regularly, especially if we want to ensure compatibility with multiple
> versions of Django and/or Python. I'm this vein, I'm thinking of using
> Travis (http://travis-ci.org/) for automated unit testing management;
> however, I'd like to know if the community has other recommendations,
> particularly if there is integration with Mercurial.

Wendy, we have another CI tool for the GNU project. It's called Hydra:

    http://hydra.nixos.org/project/gnu

Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't think CI is all that important. I mean,
it's desirable, but not critical. Octave itself could benefit from CI
too, but since so many volunteers are regularly building it, we sort
of have our own crowdsourced CI system already. ;-)

If you decide to use CI for Agora, I would prefer that you write the
Hydra recipe (and it's VCS-agnostic, AFAICT). Here is an example for
Octave, but I don't know if it's actually correct:

    http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hydra-recipes.git/plain/octave/release.nix

I like the idea of using a framework for CSS, so go right ahead with that.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.