Re: Feedback on Agora Octave design

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Feedback on Agora Octave design
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:30:41 -0500

On 08/18/2012 06:18 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 17 August 2012 22:34, Wendy Liu<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi all,

I've been working on a mockup for the redesign of Agora Octave as part of
ESA's summer of code. You can see a preview here:

http://dellsystem.me/posts/agora-octave-update-2/

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Here's my comments:

[snip]

   * I'd remove the "Sign up" button at the bottom for the following
reason: it looks like creating an account is necessary to navigate the
site. That's the first thing it comes to my mind when I see such
thing.

I thought that too.

 And since there's no reason to limit users that way, the second
thing I think is that someone will try to sell me something. If I saw
that on a site, I would immediately start mistrusting it. Makes it too
corporational, which lacks the nice feeling of having a community with
people sharing things out of interest. Most likely I'd just go away
thinking it was something proprietary. But that's just me.

No, same here. I'd put in small writing inside or below the button something like "privacy protected" or "info not released". As you say Carnë, I too have a level of mistrust in the sense I'm afraid my email address will be put on some list and distributed without my knowledge.

[snip]

   * rather than "Upload a bundle", can it be "Upload your code" and
have it link to upload both a single or a bundle? At the moment
there's no place to upload a single

"Upload code bundle"? With a dialog box that pops up when the cursor is positioned over top reading "multiple files in zip file".

   * I think I like the new Agora logo. Definitely much prefer the
square as black. The previous one was the same used for binaries
without icons (default style of Gnome I believe) which many times,
means an .exe for windows and meant frustration was close.

When the cursor is positioned over the parthanon logo, could lilting strains of an ancient Greek lyra be heard?

http://homoecumenicus.com/ancient_instruments.htm

Some kind of ascending pattern over one octave would make sense. It would make people feel a sense of history.

And how about if the mouse is positioned over the Octave logo the little square boxes slowly rotate around the O, with an accompanying swooshing sound? Does this require Java? :-)

Dan