Re: GUI starts up with terminal

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: GUI starts up with terminal
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:14:43 -0400

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 24-Aug-2012, Mike Miller wrote:
>
> | More on-topic, I tested running the GUI from a launcher and it still
> | has some quirks with the pager and info browser, which I think are all
> | due to qterminal not setting TERM to declare its terminal
> | capabilities. Once I setenv("TERM", "xterm") everything looks alright.
> | I'll report that separately.
>
> It seems like that should be handled by having qterminal select some
> reasonably feature rich default TERM type if none is specified in the
> environment.  I'm not sure what default it uses now when TERM is not
> set in the environment.

Exactly, except strike out "if none is specified in the environment".
It looks like it's emulating "vt102/xterm" from some quick grepping,
but I haven't looked into it too deeply. If TERM is unset, it's
currently unset in Octave. Qterminal is its own terminal emulator so
only it can say what its terminal type is, right? Doesn't matter what
the terminal mode of the parent process was.

--
mike