Re: Renaming libcruft

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Renaming libcruft
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:16:16 -0500

On 08/25/2012 11:58 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 25-Aug-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Could a similar thing be done for building the source as well, in order
| to cut down on the number of include paths?  Say the configure stage
| creates a symbolic link in
|
|<build_dir>/include
|
| for every header file?

Do symbolic links work on Windows systems with the Msys shell?

From what I've read, no unfortunately.

I think ln -s on that system just makes a copy.  That might work, but a
copy doesn't really have the same meaning as a symbolic link.

No, not at all. The copy would have to be done in the "make" stage rather than "configure", in which case gcc's dependency check falls apart because then the order of the directory "make"s has a consequence.

In fact, I'd have to check if gcc looks at the time stamp for the symbolic link or for the time stamp of the file the link points to, generally speaking. So maybe in either case the idea wouldn't work.

Dan