Re: MATLAB fminbnd() output

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: Re: MATLAB fminbnd() output
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 14:00:50 -0300

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for the interest, it's always nice to have new contributors. I'm not the most qualified person to guide you, but i'll try.

First of all, how do you plan to contribute? There are lots of possibilities (documentation, translation, coding, etc.).

As a general advise, please refer to any of:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html
http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#How_can_I_get_involved_in_Octave_development.3F

If you plan to contribute with coding, you have to build GNU Octave on your own. This is straightforward on GNU/Linux, don't be afraid to ask if you're having problems though. The repository is burning with very new exciting features (GUI, JIT compilation, ...) and maybe you'll get some dependency issues because of that.

I'll assume you're on a Debian-based distribution:

1. Try to install all the dependencies in one shot:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep octave
$ sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev

2. You'll also need Mercurial and Git:

$ sudo apt-get install mercurial git

3. Clone the GNU Octave repository:

$ hg clone http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

Read the INSTALL file, it contains the general instructions for the build. Actually it's missing the first step, you have to run ./autogen.sh before anything.

The first tip: (out of source build)

$ cd octave && ./autogen.sh
$ mkdir ../build && cd ../build
$ ../octave/configure <your-configure-options>
$ make

Please come back when you're done or when you find stuck. Good luck!

Regards,
Júlio.