On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere

From: Júlio Hoffimann
Subject: On the union of two communities - The GNU Octave atmosphere
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:45:40 -0300

Dear all,

Before entering the atmosphere, i want to thank you all from outside, as an external admirer. You all did a great job providing a free alternative (pick any interpretation) for scientists explore the boundaries of knowledge with no constraints on what they can or cannot do with the tools in hand. Thank you.

Now let's dive in with the minds open, forget the past because it doesn't alter anything...

I can smell two types of air. One is more dense, full in substratum, in fact it occurs in deeper layers, close to the core where we can find a rich environment with beautiful (parser) trees, birds, ... It's refreshing. The second can only be smelled on high mountains, and lucky are the ones who had the opportunity to feel this sensation.

As a adventurer, i would like to share this sensation with my friends, but due to the altitude and faraway places they always give up in joining this journey. I insist to them the air found in the mountains is sublime, but it's hard to convince people when they are under the effect of toxic gases produced in urban centers.

I'm here to purpose the union of these two important communities (Core and Forge), to eliminate this strong separation that makes devs/users lives much more difficult. We can make the GNU Octave atmosphere even richer and minimize the losses, as nature does.

I don't see reasons to maintain two mailing lists, two disconnected repositories, two communities. After all, we're all doing our best to provide what we think is useful to us and to others.

Being concrete, what do you think in gradually absorb Octave Forge packages into Octave main repo as subrepos? This would require an effective collaboration to review the packages, to purge redundancies (reimplementation) and i'm here to help, just to mention!

People interested in contribute to the Forge packages would just do it inside the main Octave repo, inside a subdirectory. Forge maintainers would have total access to the subrepo contributing exactly the same way they contribute today, with the difference they would be closer to the core, which is great.

The builds would be completely independent, we would just add targets to the packages (make forge, make forge-optim, ...).

Please, put all the individual feelings aside and think as a community. I'm glad to be part of it.

Best regards,
Júlio.