Re: Slow copy/paste feeding to IDE terminal

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Slow copy/paste feeding to IDE terminal
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:16:53 +0200

John,

2012/9/27 John Swensen <address@hidden>:
> Does anyone know the root cause of how slow the characters appear when I try
> to copy/paste into the IDE terminal (or double click on the history)?  I've
> tried to trace the code path that is execute on a copy/paste and can't find
> anything specific about what might be causing the slow behavior.  I can
> definitely type in the terminal window as fast as possible with not slow
> effects, so I think it is isolated to behaviors that feed a string to the
> terminal.  Another interesting behavior is with a recent patch I submitted.
> The patch allows the user to select multiple lines in the history,
> right-click and send them all to the terminal for execution.  The interesting
> bit is that all but the final line of commands is sent to the terminal and
> executed immediately, but the final line of the history has the characters
> appear slowly.

Afaik, this is caused by the readline event hook and is not related to
the GUI. It will also come up when using FLTK in a usual terminal
window.

>From time to time I will be batch processing applying patches. The
reason is that applying a single patch disrupts me from my current
work on free software, which is not very effective. My time is very
limited by now and I have to be careful how to spend it. Nevertheless
I am always reading the list.

Jacob