Re: Bundles in Agora

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Bundles in Agora
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:01:54 +0200

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Wendy Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've posted a summary of my progress on the bundle uploading feature for
> Agora Octave: http://dellsystem.me/posts/agora-octave-update-8/
>
> Any feedback - questions, comments, feature suggestions, etc - would be
> appreciated!
>
> -Wendy

Wendy thank you for your periodic updates!

I am glad you are managing to handle the difficulties that appear.

Regarding the visualization of the contents of a Bundle. I think that
showing the list of files would be enough (avoiding unpacking, but
just listing the content), anyways I respect your design decision.
Would it be possible to get all the structure collapsed by default and
if the user wants to see the details of the file their can expand it?
Otherwise it is quite a cumbersome overview of the bundles (some of
them can have hundreds of files!).

Regarding your future stuff. "A bundle management system (so that
users can rename, delete, and add files after creating a bundle)", I
think wee need more basic functionality before this. For example I
think a good working situation would be to allow for the upload of a
new version of the bundle (so a completely new zip file), but not
editing the internals and to be able to see in your user account which
bundles you have uploaded. In this regard, adding more functionality
is for me (stress on the "me") secondary. Most important would be the
rating/feedback functionality. Nowadays we use the feature request
forum (https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/) and there
is always ping-pong of suggestions and new versions. This is for me of
utter importance because that is the first contact with developers or
people that have more experience coding for Octave.

Also, even before the "editing the internal of the bundle"
functionality, I would prioritize on the licensing part. That is,
offering the uploaders the possibility to add license files to their
bundles, chosen from a predefined list. Carnë has written code to do
this and also as the collection of "accepted" licenses in the folder
admin of Octave Forge.

Thank you again for your efforts and results!

M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----
PhD Student
University of Zürich