Re: extra colormaps: OF or core?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: extra colormaps: OF or core?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:28:26 +0200

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not long ago we received a GPL version of the toolbox real2rgb[1]. My
> question is whether to add this as an OF package/module or directly
> into scripts/image in core.
>
> real2rgb extends the functionality of colormaps by making them accept
> Inf as the length argument (it will fail in the current colormaps).
> This option makes the colormpa return the "concise description", i.e.
> the minimum information needed to recreate a colormap of any length
> (the data points of the interpolation if you wish). It also provides a
> function to "deform" the colormaps according to color-bin sizes (this
> allows nonlinear scaling of colormaps).
>
> Should I continue with the orginial idea of making all this a new OF
> package/module or shall I work to put this into core?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> [1]
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23342-real2rgb-colormaps

btw, Oliver Woodford is happy to send us any of his packages under
GPL, we just need to let him know.

He has this other one that looks interesting (note the "Matlab's nasty
discretization artifacts" do we have them too?)
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/16233-sc-powerful-image-rendering

In his page you can see more
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~ojw/software.htm

Cheers