Re: Implementation of importdata belonging to Octave Core or Octave-Forg

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Implementation of importdata belonging to Octave Core or Octave-Forge?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:37:43 +0200

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Erik Kjellson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have written an implementation of the Matlab function 'importdata'. I'm
> getting a bit confused about the borderline between Octave Core and
> Octave-Forge, so I don't know where it belongs...
>
> My implementation covers most of the functionality in the Matlab version,
> but not all. For example, I haven't implemented the automatic detection of
> the column separator. Also, for some special cases (like if you in the data
> section of the file would have some letters among numeric data) you still
> get a slightly different output.
>
> The 'importdata' is, as far as I know, a part of Matlab Core rather than a
> toolbox.
> Does the implementation have to be complete to be able to have it in Octave
> Core?
>
> Or is it better to add it to the Octave-Forge project for now?
>
> regards,
> Erik

Hi Erik,

Cool!

I would say that if compatibility is not complete then better to keep
it in Forge. also, you should upload your function seomwhere so we can
see the coding style, Octave core is very strict in this. Could you
upload your function her
https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/feature-requests/ and lets us known
with another email? also include the forge mailing list that I've just
added.

Cheers