Re: Bundles in Agora

From: c.
Subject: Re: Bundles in Agora
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:51:29 +0100

Wendy, Juan Pablo,

On 28 Oct 2012, at 07:19, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> Thank for all the changes Wendy!
>
> I agree with your comment on "3) Browsing bundle contents"

The thing is that this approach seems to be just trying to replicate
functionalities of a VCS.
If a VCS is what we need, we should just be using one.

For example any VCS I know already provides a web interface that allows to
point at a single line in a file, eg.g.:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11372/tree/trunk/octave-forge/extra/bim/inst/bim1a_advection_diffusion.m#l66

And it also provides many cool more advanced features like for example looking
at previos versions and comparing two versions:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/11320/tree/trunk/octave-forge/extra/bim/inst/bim1a_advection_diffusion.m?diff=505e333171b75b10eb655d97:11319

Also, if "editing a bundle" means changing contents of a single file of the
bundle, that this is not
something I think should be done via the web interface.

Bundle maintainers should just prepare a new release of the whole bundle, give
it a version number and upload.
Otherwise there would be multiple "versions" of the same bundle in the wild,
with different contents but with
the same version number.

You might think of avoiding this by incrementing the version number
automatically whenever any change is made to any file, but then doesn't this
sound like
replicating the functionality of a VCS again?

Anyways, thanks again to Wendy for all her great work!

c.