Re: saving function handles

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: saving function handles
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:46:05 +0000

On 15/11/2012 14:04, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 14 November 2012 12:55, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:
But if during the saving of f `foo´ is known from a relative path, e.g. path
= ... fun ... (instead of path = ... /path/to/fun ...), isn't it more
logical if only the relative path is saved?
This proposal might make sense, but I don't see how to implement it.
Do you have precise suggestions how to do so? How can we know in
advance if an absolute or a relative path should be used? Why and when
should a relative path be preferred? What should the path be relative
to?

- Jordi G. H.

I have had similar problems with saving function handles on one computer and trying to load them on another with a different directory path for the same function. I got around the problem using strings and feval instead, but this might not be so easy in some cases.

It might be nice if octave fell back on 'foo' in the local path (with a turn-offable warning maybe?) if /path/to/fun/foo.m is not accessible?

I can see how this might cause problems though. I don't see how relative paths could work.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.